Juice fasting is usually done to lose weight. It is promised that up to 5 kg can be lost within one week. Juice fasting involves drinking a lot of water as well up to one and a half litres of freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable juice a day.
Implementing Juice Fasting
Similar to fasting, juice fasting begins with a "relief period" in which the intake of food is gradually reduced. Enemas and Glauber's Salt are also part of the intestinal cleansing. Water and juices with an energy supply of ca. 300kcal a day are to be consumed daily during the fasting period. After the fasting period there are 2 "recuperating" days of eating vegetables and fruit.
Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life: Unleash the Healing Power of Fresh Juices and Cleansing Diets, Cherie Calbom MS, John Calbom MA
The Juice Lady's Turbo Diet: Lose ten pounds in ten days-the healthy way!, Cherie Calbom
Evaluation of Juice Fasting
- Juice fasting causes the muscle masses to break down. Water is also lost during this period. For this reason a lot of weight is lost as a result of the juice fasting.
- Not enough protein and other nutrients.
- Short term fasting is only safe if you are a healthy adult but it should always be done with the guidance of your GP.
- The body throttles its metabolic rate as a result of the low energy supply: fewer calories are used which is beneficial for the famous yo-yo effect. After the fasting period, it is common that weight is gained very quickly. Long-term success is rare.
- Monotonous diet
- Waste products, which are apparently excreted during the fasting period, have not been discovered in the human body.
- Bad eating habits are not changed.
Juice Fasting and Detoxification: Use the Healing Power of Fresh Juice to Feel Young and Look Great : The Fastest Way to Restore Your Health