Orange-Peel Skin = Cellulite
Cellulite is also called orange-peel skin. How does it develop and what can you do about it?
What causes cellulite? What is cellulite?
Cellulite is caused by fat cells which increase in size and bulge through the loosely woven connective tissue. This causes the typical dimpling effect on the skin. The accumulation of fat in this region prevents the flow of lymph and tissue fluid. As a result, the water in the surrounding region is compressed and causes the skin to swell.
Cellulite und Frauen
Cellulite occurs more often in women than in men. The reasons for this are:
- Women are prone to an increased adsorption of fat in certain parts of the body.
- In addition to this, the epidermis and dermis are a lot thinner in women than in men.
- The connective tissue is a lot more wide meshed in women to enable stretching during pregnancy.
Are there any treatments for cellulite? To what extent do cosmetic products help?
Stiftung Warentest (A German Testing Foundation) tested 3/96 and 4/99 anti-cellulite products. All of the tested products got bad results. Massage machines were also tested and their effectiveness for treating cellulite was “insufficient”.
Treatment of Cellulite
- Exercise is one of the most effective ways to get rid of cellulite. Exercise and movement turn body fat into muscles. The muscles get rid of the fatty tissue and help you get a toned and shapely figure.
- Avoid putting on weight! If the fat cells underneath the skin are made smaller by the catabolism of fat, then it is important to have a low-fat, well-balanced and fibre-rich diet.
- If you have cellulite, weight loss should only be done very slowly. Rapid weight loss could also cause the skin to look flabby. A lot of body protein is lost during radical diets. The connective tissue is an important part of body protein and it is also broken down during such radical diets. This worsens the condition.
- Alternating hot and cold shower jets and brush massages boost blood and lymph circulation and can potentially decrease or prevent fluid retention in the skin.
Getting rid of cellulite by doing exercise. Is it possible? What types of sports are most suitable?
All kinds of sports that build muscle in the problem areas are ideal for combating orange-peel skin, for e.g. cycling, jogging, swimming and hiking.
The Cellulite Solution: A Doctor's Program for Losing Lumps, Bumps, Dimples, and Stretch Marks,