Anti-Aging: What is it?
Human life span and life expectancy is continuously growing. It is therefore no surprise that older people have the desire to remain physically fit and able-bodied. This is the aim of anti-aging.
In anti-aging, a differentiation is made between the calendaric age (actual age) and the biological age. Whilst the calendaric age cannot be altered, there are possibilities of reducing the biological age by using anti-aging methods. The biological age describes the condition and fitness of the body and soul. The biological age is only slightly dependant on the calendaric age. Individual habits, nutrition, stress and fitness can all influence biological age considerably. A person who has been doing sport all their life can have more strength and endurance at 60 than an unathletic 40 year old. The mental efficiency of older people is also very dependant on the daily extent of use of the grey matter of the brain.
As thorough an analysis of the starting situation as possible usually marks the beginning of anti-aging measures.
The anti-aging analysis involves a medical check-up, measurement of bone density, lab testing (hormones, vitamins, trace elements, fats and antioxidants) and measuring the biological age.
How is the biological age determined?
- Condition of the somatic cells and blood vessels
- Elasticity of the lungs
- Visual age
- Skin elasticity
- Coordination, ability to react
- Vision and hearing
Anti Aging Plan / Strategy
The anti-aging plan comprises all methods which aim at decreasing the biological age. This includes taking care of the body and keeping fit, reducing susceptibility to illnesses and maintaining mental agility.
Stay Young & Sexy with Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement: The Science Explained, Jonathan V. Wright, Lane Lenard
- A healthy lifestyle is the best, easiest and at the same time cheapest way of preventing aging ahead of time.
- Endurance sport and additional strengthening of muscle power helps to maintain physical performance even in old age. Osteoporosis is prevented and the cardiovascular system is strengthened. The chances of getting infections are decreased and the hormonal balance is stimulated.
- Treatment of possible illnesses that are established during medical check-up.
- A healthy and well-balanced diet
- Sufficient sleep
- Low alcohol consumption
- Little exposure of skin to UV-rays
- Not smoking
- Avoiding negative stress
- Mental fitness by doing “brain jogging”, mental challenges.
- Hormone replacement therapy: With age the body produces fewer and fewer hormones for example growth hormones, DHEA, sexual hormones (oestrogen, testosterone) or melatonin. Many doctors feel that this causes signs of old age and illnesses. For this reason, many anti-aging doctors prescribe hormones to help anti-aging. This hormonal substitution is not necessarily indisputable. Those who oppose this anti-aging method fear that it increases the risk of cancer and refer to the lack of long-term studies. Possible side effects are therefore difficult to estimate. In addition to this they doubt that delaying or reversing the aging process is possible.
Anti-aging lotions enrich the skin – just like other lotions – with moisture and fat making it moister and smoother.
Summary from Stiftung Warentest (German Testing Foundation):
"Anti-aging lotions are generally not better or worse than other normal lotions."
Anti-Aging Cures: Life Changing Secrets to Reverse the Effects of Aging
The Anti-Aging Plan: The Nutrient-Rich, Low-Calorie Way of Eating for a Longer Life--The Only Diet Scientifically Proven to Extend Your Healthy Years